The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old September 10, 1999, 04:30 PM   #1
El Jefe

Or at least beat them up a little?? Well if you visit their website (www.handguncontrol.org) you will notice an advertisement that says " remember when kids packed a lunch instead??"( then display a picture of a Beretta 92FS cleverly they have blurred out all references to Beretta) and then some additional verbage..."Kids+Guns=tragedy" Well I called Beretta USA's Legal office to see if they were aware that the Beretta was being used as a poster child for HCI, they were NOT aware however they did get uptight. Call Beretta USA @ 1800-636-3420 (customer Service) and ask to speak to their legal Department....Inform them that it is plainly obvious That the Beretta is being used as a Poster Child for HCI and you do not appreciate that fact that they are endorsing Gun Control by allowing HCI to use their product. Here is the rub...Beretta is not allowing them too however they (HCI) has made an attempt to make it look generic ( An impossibility with a Beretta) if enough people call in Beretta will take action and make HCI remove their product off of the site. they will change it to some other Manufacturer and we call them as well until HCI removes that crap off of it's site. This could be fun!!

------------------
...“ They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

..."The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." --Thomas Jefferson
... "The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein

... "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."Ronald Reagan
Take care and God Bless, El Jefe

[This message has been edited by El Jefe (edited September 12, 1999).]
Old September 10, 1999, 04:45 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Beretta's CS people are gone for the weekend, and no incoming messages (announcement only). I've put a reminder in my schedule to call them first thing Monday morning.

This is gonna be GREAT! Thanks for pointing this out, El Jefe.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper
Old September 10, 1999, 05:00 PM   #3
deanf

I looked at the picture. How do you know this is not a squirt gun or some other replica? I think this is a little silly.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789
Old September 10, 1999, 05:11 PM   #4
Morgan

Dean, this isn't asinine at all. Beretta has a fine reputation and an instantly recognizable product. Using their product's image without their permission is a bad thing. Harley Davidson (tm) has trademarked the word "Hog (tm)" and has even attempted to trademark the sound of their lumpy old engines. (In the fourties, Harleys were among the best bikes around. Then their engineering department decided to take the rest of the century off ).

Seriously, I'm going to call Beretta and say "SOOO... You jerks got the Army contract and a bunch of police contracts, so now you're gonna screw the rest of us, eh?" Beretta USA is actually a pretty good company for RKBA, so this should get them frothing. Let the lawyerbirds call HCI. Tee, hee!
Old September 10, 1999, 07:37 PM   #5
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Jefe!

Dean...its not silly, HCI uses every single unethical means of presenting their view up to and including blatant lies. And they always get away with it.
Berretta's are rather pricey, so its not like its a gun kids routinely pack in their lunches, nor is there any evidence that a single Berretta has been a kid's choice of weapon.

This is copy right and trademark violation...every business actively tries to protect their trademarks.
"Its not personal, Sonny, its just business"

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old September 10, 1999, 11:27 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Now, looking at the original question, and getting away from the Beretta issue: Contact HCI for one of their info kits. Don't you want to know what they're all about?

There should be an HCI-addressed, already-coded envelope which requires no stamp. Now, I wouldn't advocate really being mean, but I knew a guy who used their envelope to mail them a brick...

I've often wondered: There they are, planning their postage budget for a certain percentage of 1-oz returns...What does such mischief do to their budget?

, Art
Old September 11, 1999, 07:42 AM   #7
Hal

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Just for fun, get a mental picture of a Zebra. Or better yet, find a picture of a Zebra. Concentrate on that Zebra for a few min. Is it black with white stripes? Or is it white with black stripes? Is there a pattern to the stripes? Do all Zebras look alike? Do we all look alike to a Zebra? Now forget all about the Zebra and go about your life. Now next time you have sex,try to think about the Zebra, or better yet try not to.

The gun could also be a Taurus, but I believe Taurus makes them under licence, therefore Taurus may also be interested in a letter or a call.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net
Old September 11, 1999, 07:46 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Hal, do you often have to TRY NOT thinking about animals while having sex?

Couldn't help it...

Okay okay... 50 pushups and 10 laps around block...

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 11, 1999, 12:13 PM   #9
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

My, my. The things one learns about his friends....

Ooops! Forgot the !

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited September 11, 1999).]
Old September 11, 1999, 04:13 PM   #10
solo

Thats a Berretta if I ever saw one! Notice the rotating pin on the side (holds the slide to the frame) which is unique to all Berettas. I smell a law suite! Defamation of product. I'm going to call Beretta monday.

P.S.
El Jefe I've poached your initial topic and spread it to a few other forums, but I noted that you are the initial poster/creator of the topic. Just trying to spread the word.
Old September 11, 1999, 06:28 PM   #11
Hal

hehe, Baaaaaaad example huh?

------------------
Old September 11, 1999, 06:47 PM   #12
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

I love this subversive stuff.

I agree that anything we can do to harass HCI (especially something like this, that's totally ethical) is a good thing. Besides, there's an element of truth to the idea that HCI shouldn't be allowed to use Berettas in their advertising without permission. I don't get to do that kind of thing, why should they?

------------------
Don

"Hey you, let's fight!"
"Them's fightin' words!"

Old September 11, 1999, 08:32 PM   #13
Keith Rogan

Allow me to douse this fire with a little gasoline.

I just emailed Beretta's "Leadership Forum" and sort of, kind of, suggested that I was not going to buy Beretta products anymore because they are sort of, kind of, "in cahoots" with HCI.

Imagine their dismay if they were to come in Monday morning and find several hundred other emails of people outraged at their "joining" HCI.

You can contact them at:

[email protected]

Please spread this around for those folks who'd rather drop a quick email than get on the phone.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old September 12, 1999, 12:11 AM   #14
El Jefe

I own three of theses fine handguns and I am about to purchase another I know a Beretta from a Squirt Gun and definitely from a Taurus (Check the slide) It upsets me to see HCI violate laws in order to create new ones or at least advocate new ones and using such a highly Identifiable handgun, which as some have pointed out is NOT the weapon of choice for Children. Beretta Does have a fine reputation and I am sure their Legal Beagles, will have fun with this...

SOLO post as often as you wish, Plagiarize away the more the merrier.

KEITH: Thanks for the E-mail I am sure that it will add fuel to the fire Hee Hee! Make sure that you call as well, They will take your name and number so they can get back to you.
HCI has harassed and Harangued us as gun owners, turnabout I feel is fair play!! Call Early on Monday to make sure you get through!!

------------------
...“ They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

..."The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." --Thomas Jefferson
... "The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein

... "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."Ronald Reagan

Old September 12, 1999, 02:56 AM   #15
Hal

Ok,so I don't know a Taurus from a Beretta . But I do know the stench of HCI. The picture on the page is an obvious slam against a firm that won a judgement against HCI, and HCI should be sued for using it, and since malice should be easy to prove, punitive damages should also be awarded.

It's a pity Beretta supports HCI. I was about to purchase one of the EL models they offer. I believe a call or e-mail to Baretta is in order.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited September 12, 1999).]
Old September 12, 1999, 07:11 AM   #16
TR

Ok, Sent my email ... after a few paragraphs, I simply closed by asking them to "say it isn't so" Should get someone a bit smoked on Monday morning.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall! It might be interesting to hear the news, for a change.
Old September 12, 1999, 03:01 PM   #17
El Jefe

Hal, No slam on you intended , that was not my intent. You make yet another great point, the lawsuit thing that is!! Beretta does not support HCI However they need to make them take that off! Keep up the good work guys Monday early should be interesting!

------------------

Old September 12, 1999, 06:39 PM   #18
Hal

El Jefe: Hey no problem. No slam was taken. I am not above admitting my own ignorance about something. I didn't realize that the Taurus and the Beretta were different configurations. Thank you for pointing out the difference to me. Really, no offence was taken on my part. Peace between us, my brother in arms. Lets get the dirty bastards at HCI.

------------------
Old September 12, 1999, 08:53 PM   #19
Jim V

As to mailing them a brick on their dime (as we used to say), you can't do it. You can mail the brick but the USPS dumps those packages that have a postage paid cover and a weight that is greater than what is normally mailed. However, you can use their envelope to mail them back the crap they sent you, be sure to delete your name and address.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited September 12, 1999).]
Old September 13, 1999, 11:28 AM   #20
El Jefe

Hal, I like your thinking! Encourage as many as you can to call/E-mail and lets see what happens!

------------------

Old September 13, 1999, 11:47 AM   #21
El Jefe

Well I just got off the Phone with Beretta legal Dept 301-283-2191 get the operator and ask for legal they have already had several calls and said they are aware of it (operator almost sounded frustrated at the shear number they were receiving) They were very appreciative for the support however and are looking into it. It's getting the attention keep calling...

------------------

Old September 13, 1999, 01:07 PM   #22
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

I got $10 that says HCI starts screaming about the First Amendment when Beretta's ballcutters go after 'em.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper
Old September 13, 1999, 07:54 PM   #23
Hal

El Jefe: You deserve a special award for this effort. Sounds like you started a movement here!

I hereby nominate you for the Golden Burr in Sarah's Saddle Award.

------------------
Old September 13, 1999, 08:11 PM   #24
El Jefe

Hal, All in a days work...She has made enough of us miserable I think a little turnabout is fair play even if only in a small way, the thorn in the side routine works for me!!

------------------

Old September 13, 1999, 09:28 PM   #25
DC
Moderator Emeritus

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!