The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 2, 2000, 08:11 AM   #1
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Go!
Old May 2, 2000, 08:34 AM   #2
jimmy

Chris--I'm so sorry to hear about what your wife has suffered. But I'm so relieved that your Colt was handy and that she was able to use it so effectively. You must be deeply concerned about her injuries, which hopefully will heal quickly. Best wishes to you both. Let us know how you're doing.

And, yes, as other posters have said, thank goodness there was no trigger lock.
Old May 2, 2000, 08:52 AM   #3
HukeOKC

I really couldn't say anything yesterday and I still don't know what to say. I hope and pray that your wife and you can get through this deal. I just thank God that she is still alive and I'd have that Colt bronzed! It really opened my eyes to my family's security and I know now that I really need to get my wife up to speed. If that had happened to her I wouldn't be here now but I'd be making funeral arangements . Thank you for putting this here so I can show my wife and maybe that will motivate her to want to learn to defend herself. I think she has a real false sense of security from the alarm I had put on the house. Thank you and I hope all is well.
Old May 2, 2000, 04:28 PM   #4
Jeff OTMG

So sorry to hear about what happened. It is a shame you even had to go through it. I suspect a miss with the .45 since it would have been a complete pass through though he may be suffering from severe powder burns and/or a grazing wound that did not require medical attention. Get her a J-frame so she can have her own gun.

After thinking about this and reading your profile I suspect that your wifes attacker either knows you, knows someone who knows you very well, or was watching your home for some time. The Colony is a nice area, I have a friend who moved there back in 1989 when it was just getting going. I see that you are in security which means that you may have been at work the night this happened. The fact that the person knew you were gone, how to break in, where to go in the house to find what he wanted, leads me to believe that this person is familiar with your habits and the area if not your specific home. The person was probably acting alone since your wife saw nobody else and if he escaped on foot he could easily live in your area. That could be how he knew your schedule also, he might be a customer.
Old May 2, 2000, 07:37 PM   #5
Bulldog

FYI: Chris got his 1911 back today (covered in fingerprint dust, of course).

His wife seems to be taking everything well - not overly traumatized about the whole thing. Strong lady he has there.

------------------
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page
Old May 2, 2000, 08:59 PM   #6
EQUALIZER

That's one tough lady to go through that trauma and get back up again so quickly. She is to be highly commended as you are Chris, for providing the means of protection for your wife. I was just thinking. Even among those who have guns available, most do not leave them w/in close reach of their spouse. Its always been said by the gun rags that its a poor idea to have a gun on the bed for chance of an accident happening. That idea has been thought over in my mind and should be reconsidered by many. Don't want to think of a scenareo where the gun was not w/in reach. Good job sir!

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old May 2, 2000, 09:20 PM   #7
Bulldozer

Sir:
You and your family are in my prayers. Bravo to your lady for handling the goblin in such a befitting manner. I wish that it were not so, but unfortunately this world is full of those creatures that would seek to rob us of what we hold dearest.

Old May 2, 2000, 09:46 PM   #8
jimpeel

Best wishes to all.

Jim Peel
Attleboro, MA
Old May 3, 2000, 09:44 PM   #9
tatters

So glad you folks came out as winners. In my eyes, that is what you are, as you are both here to tell about this horrible event.
Your wife has a great deal of guts, and reacted to this attack with great courage.
Her mind set was also a great asset.
The anti gunners would have her dead and the criminal on the loose. Even if they were to catch him, a plea bargain or a b*l*s*i* excuse about how he was molested as a kid, or how he had to feed a substance abuse problem is bound to keep him out of jail.
What a gutless, cowardly punk.
If he's not dead already, I hope he has time to think about the life he chose, and how he will probably die by living this way. And I hope in the future, if he choses this route again, some armed citizen has the resources and the guts to take him out.
Thank your wife for me.

------------------
"I learned a thing or two from Charlie,don't you know. You better stay away from Copperhead Road" Steve Earle
Old May 3, 2000, 09:46 PM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Y'all both are in our prayers. Keep us posted, and God bless...

[This message has been edited by Tamara (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old May 3, 2000, 10:56 PM   #11
BigMike

You and your wife are in mine and my wife's prayers. Please continue to be strong and know that after having read your post to my wife, she has fully committed to me that she will start going to the range with me. God Bless, and let us know how things progress. Mike
Old May 4, 2000, 01:16 AM   #12
Grayfox

I really wasn't sure how to respond to this thread. I'm glad your wife will be ok. She done good!
It bothers me that such terrible things continue to happen to otherwise good people. The system just don't work. Let me get out of here before I start a rant.
Good luck to you along with my prayers.

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!