The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 16, 2000, 06:34 PM   #1
MAD DOG

This is happening as I write this.

Coverage available sporadically at: http://www.gcnlive.com/

There is a lot of weirdness at this site, but they occassionally have some worthwhile data.

Evidently M-G has advertised that weapons or kits were available without serial numbers.
I am unsure which.
Old June 16, 2000, 09:45 PM   #2
MAD DOG

More information at this link.
BATF raided the owner's home, and seized all of the rifles there, even the ones there for repair. They claim even his kits are illegal.
http://www.tacticalforums.com/ubb/Fo...ML/000170.html
Old June 16, 2000, 10:14 PM   #3
Ed Brunner

This is clinton's legacy. It is starting.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Old June 17, 2000, 09:36 AM   #4
sgtar15

MAD DOG, I am having problems getting info from the links posted. Please keep us posted. Anyone in AZ that has heard about this??

------------------
ALL CRIMES ARE HATE CRIMES.

SGTAR15
Old June 17, 2000, 10:19 AM   #5
Shin-Tao

BATF. Real heros. Defending America from evils of freedom.
Old June 18, 2000, 12:44 AM   #6
Waterdog

It is heads up time, those bastards are starting to get more and more visible.

Here in Mesa Az (the home of Maadi Griffin), I have been in 2 different gun shops where ATF was checkin records. I don't recall in 25 years, that I have been an active shooter that I have ever seen an ATF agent in a gun store.

Another unusual incident occured in the desert where I shoot. Ran across several fellows who just didn't fit. They kept on asking me if I wanted to shoot their weapons, a highly unusual incident considering I was
an armed stranger,

(I am kinda rough looking, hell, I wouldn't hand a weapon to someone who looked like me)

who walked out of the desert. My gut feeling tells me they were LEOs, possibly the federal kind.

Waterdog
Old June 18, 2000, 05:26 AM   #7
sgtar15

Well I sent a e-mail to O'reilly and Sean Hannity at Fox news to see if they would investigate it. We shall see, the truth needs to be told

------------------
ALL CRIMES ARE HATE CRIMES.

SGTAR15
Old June 18, 2000, 05:58 AM   #8
mcshot

Waterdog, Hey ol Buddy you seem to be a magnet for the "Feds". Please keep them tied up so the rest of us can have some quality of life.
Good work my friend!

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000
Old June 18, 2000, 11:48 AM   #9
Shin-Tao

It's getting bad.

Why don't we all get active? Use our money and time to apose this movement. Plenty of mechanisms to do this.

Go join the NRA and GOA! Snail-mail ALL your reps! Promise support if they support us.
Old June 18, 2000, 04:29 PM   #10
MAD DOG

TacticalForums is running a bit slow due to a server problem that I am trying to get fixed. Try finding a computer geek on a Sunday...
Give it some time and it will load out alright.
Sorry,
Mad Dog
Old June 18, 2000, 05:51 PM   #11
Colombe

The link listed doesn't seem to work for me. Is this story posted someplace else? Thank you.
Old June 18, 2000, 08:04 PM   #12
Colin Thompson

While I hesitate to recommend this, Alex Jones will probably have updates on his show Monday from 9 AM to 12 PM PDT. You can listen in at 12172 kHz USB or at http://www.gcnlive.com/ . I believe he may also post information at is Web Site by Monday http://www.infowars.com . Please note that this post is not an endorsement of Alex Jones! The Intelligence Report is on after Alex’s show. This is where I first heard of the raid.
Old June 18, 2000, 10:17 PM   #13
Juan Hunt Greer

I would personally appreciate being kept up to speed on ANY developments on this! I would also like it if someone could send me his lawyer's name and address ( either on-screen or e-mail. I'd like to send a contribution to his defense.
crankshaft
Old June 19, 2000, 11:51 AM   #14
Howard D. Huggins

Howdy, All!
I'm new to this bulletin board, but have also recently become acquainted with the boards at www.tacticalforums.com and www.assaualtweb.net. I have posted several pieces concerning the Maadi-Griffin/Bob Stewart incidents there, and now that I know about this board, will post here, too. I have spoken to Bob's wife several times since this incident happened on Friday, and the basic information is as follows: There has been no public statement from the Family about the charges against Bob, and won't be until after his arraignment sometime this week. Bob has an attorney at present, but that name is not for public knowledge until after a direction to follow is determined.
Mrs. Stewart thanks everyone for their concern and prayers, and they have family in from out of town to help them through this difficult time. Bob is currently in jail awaiting arraignment. This is the bulk of information out at the present. If you, like I had any dealings with Bob, I'm sure you can expect some dialogue with the BATF in the future. And if you, like I, had any property in Bob's custody, the Fed's have that, too. I am planning to contact the BATF Phoenix office momentarily, to see what I need to do to get my .50BMG barrel back. I'll post what I find out. For now, please keep Bob and his Family in your prayers, and when the time comes, please think hard about being willing to assist in his defense, either with testimony/facts or funding. Thanks to all that have expressed an interest in this situation, and if I come into any more info that should be public knowledge without harming Bob's defense or his Family, I will post same. Best Regards to ALL.
Old June 19, 2000, 01:40 PM   #15
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Time to raid the whitehouse and arrest the Traitor in Chief and Janet "kill'm all and let God sort them out" Reno.

The ATF should be disbanned and its agents reeducated.
Old June 19, 2000, 01:48 PM   #16
dZ

this was posted on freerepublic: http://www.FreeRepublic.com/forum/a394b0b9d287f.htm
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hi, This was sent to me via a friend. Late friday night/early saturday morning (ie. in the middle of the night.), 10 carloads of BATF agents broke into Maddi-Griffins house (he is actually Bob Stewart),
roughed up his wife, scared his 3 lovely children half to death (they are 2, 5, and 7) and took him away, as well as his computer, kits, and who knows what else. As of 7:00 PM Saturday he was being held in
Mea Culpa (sp?), a town in Arizona, with no charges being filed. He lives in Mesa, Arizona. The original news came out via radio, and was confirmed via telephone. Before it happened (possibly days before),
helicopters had been flying over the house, and people had been taking pictures from outside the house. I say this was a Janet Reno fathers day present to the second amendment lovers, and those who believe
in the fourth amendment. The "Jackbooted thugs" struck again, and we had better beware, we do not know who they will strike next. Our supporter, thinks he may be on their list.[/quote]
Old June 19, 2000, 04:04 PM   #17
Howard D. Huggins

Howdy, DZ. Just a quick update, Bob is being detained at "Madison", which is a jail facility, I believe, in Mesa, AZ. Official word is not out yet as to the charges, nor has there been anything in the media covering it, yet. Last time I spoke to Bob's wife (Sunday afternoon), she told me Bob was to be arraigned "some time this week", but further information is not available at this time. When I was with Bob several times, he mentioned that his house had been surveilled several times in the past few days/weeks, and he figured he was just being harrassed because of his pro-2nd ammendment stand and the way he did his Maadi-Griffin business. All I can report at this time is that he is still currently in jail, the ATF has my barrel as well as the property of unknown other customers, and I am in the process of discussing with the ATF about getting my barrel back. As often as I can come up with new information, I'll post it here and on some of the other board sites. Best Regards to All!
Old June 19, 2000, 06:58 PM   #18
Bud Helms

'Looks like some serious [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]'s coming down on us, because what happens to this guy happens to all of us. I hope he is clean. So far it seems like a political arrest.

'Never thought I'd live to see it in this country. ... I take that back, now it affects me, so I can't ignore it.

I wonder if Bob Stewart's church is BATF approved? Remember Waco ...

Damn! ...

Old June 20, 2000, 01:23 AM   #19
Jeff Thomas

FYI, this facility is known as the 'Madison Street Jail', and is run by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department. Please see http://www.mcso.org/submenu.asp?file=madison

Regards from AZ
Old June 20, 2000, 11:49 AM   #20
Howard D. Huggins

Howdy, All! I spoke with the ATF Monday and yes my barrel is being held as evidence. I am sending off a letter Tuesday with proof I own the barrel and a description of it before and after modification. With that info in hand, the ATF said that I should be able to get it back when its value as evidence is over. I have received several e-mails at home asking for information/recommendations, etc.. To those I have answered questions, but until the charges against Bob are finally brought out, everything is speculation. Some are asking if they are potentially facing trouble for having purchased parts or kits. According to the Agent I spoke with, the answer is "NO". The problem is with Bob and not the rifles and/or kits. For those that had property there, I would suggest you contact the ATF in Phoenix, AZ (602)776-5400, ask for the agent in charge of this incident and request information about what you can do to get your stuff back. PLEASE don't do or say anything that will hamper their investigation, as you could cause Bob more grief and prevent the timely release of property to those that may eventually get their stuff back. If I get any more public domain information, I'll be sure and pass it on. Best Regards to All.
Old June 20, 2000, 12:56 PM   #21
Colin Thompson

Please take the time to fax a one page letter to Judge Lawerence O. Anderson at 602-514-7164 indicating your support for Robert Stewert. This needs do be done by 2 PM Thursday, Mesa AZ time.
Old June 20, 2000, 01:59 PM   #22
dZ

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>&gt;This info is from the Second Amendment Sisters AZ Coordinator, who lives
&gt;in Mesa, AZ:
&gt;
&gt;Big fish to fry! It was confirmed in the local (Mesa AZ) newspaper today
&gt;that Bob Stewart the owner of ..50bmg manufacturer, Maadi-Griffin was
&gt;arrested Friday by the BATF. Mr. Stewart was arrested in his garage while
&gt;his wife and children were inside their home. Seized in the raid was a
&gt;"stockpile" of weapons, including 40 guns, boxes of ammunition, gun parts
&gt;and the 3000 names of his customers.
&gt;
&gt;The BATF claims that Mr. Stewart is a convicted felon and has been selling
&gt;his guns and gun kits over the Internet to bypass federal firearms laws.
&gt;And that he advertises the fact that his kits require no FFL to purchase.
&gt;
&gt;Maadi-Griffin has been in business for 10 years without problems from the
&gt;BATF.
&gt;
&gt;BATF agent Thomas Mangan said to the reporter, "we see no legitimate use
&gt;for a gun like this, unless you are in the military". He went on to say,
&gt;"no vest in the world could protect a law enforcement officer from a gun
&gt;like this".
&gt;
&gt;Mangan also said. "The kits are equipped with a part that prevents the gun
&gt;from operating unless the part is removed by a machinist". In accordance
&gt;with BATF regulations the kit is technically incapable of being
&gt;fired. But Mangan said that the gun is so easily retrofitted to become
&gt;operational that authorities felt Stewart was flagrantly violating gun
&gt;regulations.
&gt;
&gt;Mr. Stewart said, "I have a wife and children, friends, church and all
&gt;that. I am willing to die for this if I have to".
&gt;
&gt;The article went on to list his assets and listed the value of his home at
&gt;$256,000. Sounds like asset forfeiture is next to come.
&gt;
&gt;This is my summary on this story:
&gt;
&gt;1. The guns were manufactured in accordance with BATF regs.
&gt;
&gt;2. Maadi-Griffin bypassed a "loophole" in the regs.
&gt;
&gt;3. Mr. Stewart was a "felon".
&gt;
&gt;4. 3000 persons have purchased this gun.
&gt;
&gt;5. Mr. Stewart has valuable assets.
&gt;
&gt;I believe that the BATF found it easier and more efficient to arrest Mr.
&gt;Stewart instead of changing BATF regulations. In the name of bureaucratic
&gt;efficiency they will destroy this man and his family. Do you think that
&gt;the BATF will not do anything with the customer list?
&gt;
&gt;Plan on seeing more of this in the near future.[/quote]
Old June 20, 2000, 02:36 PM   #23
scud

For the record this REALLY pisses me off.

i'd really, really like to express my feelings - really i would, but i doubt there is enough space to fit all of the cursing i would have to type.

[This message has been edited by scud (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 02:36 PM   #24
Meiji_man

I bid $50 for a fund to purchase his company should he be found unable to run it. If he goes under, Let's buy his plans and start a new version of his company. Won't that pi$$off the ATF.

------------------
"Big or Little, it's all the same to a .45
Which comment embraced the full philosophy of the Gunfighter"
R.E. Howard
Old June 20, 2000, 03:47 PM   #25
simonov jr

Item was on the Arizona Republic's website but have to register there (yuck) to get it.
Mesa gun advocate is jailed after raid

By Dennis Wagner
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 20, 2000

A Mesa constitutionalist who claims all U.S. gun laws are illegal was jailed Friday after federal agents serving a search warrant at his home discovered a cache of weapons, including machine guns and kits to build .50-caliber guns.

Robert Wilson Stewart, 61, was arrested at his residential business in the 2800 block of North 34th Place and accused of being a convicted felon in possession of firearms.

Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were led to the home by a Web site and magazine ads offering the large-caliber gun kits for sale by a company called MAADI-griffin. Kit guns don't fire, but buyers can easily alter them to operate.

In a jailhouse interview Monday, Stewart acknowledged that he pleaded guilty to possessing a machine gun in 1993, and that he kept machine guns and other firearms at his home. But he insisted that he was acting within his rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

Stewart, a former high school history teacher who has three children younger than 8, said he's sickened at the prospect of going to prison for years. However, he added, ''I would give my life tomorrow . . . if I could restore the civil rights to this country.''

So-called patriot Internet sites buzzed with news of the arrest Monday, and reviled the ATF. The Web scribes noted that Stewart had agreed to help sponsor the ''50 Million Round March,'' a Father's Day event in which gun-rights advocates planned to fire 50 million shots at firearm ranges nationwide. That plan was wiped out when ATF agents raided Stewart's home and handcuffed him at gunpoint.

Tom Mangan, special agent with the ATF, said investigators seized 38 weapons at Stewart's house, including a fully functional Uzi and five other machine guns.

One of Stewart's Web pages on constitutional rights declares that ''all gun laws, restrictions, regulations, controls, taxes , etc. are illegal.''

During the interview, Stewart recited articles from the Constitution, delivered a history lecture and said the right to bear arms was inspired by God as a protection against tyrannical government.

Stewart harkened to 1928, when his grandmother was able to buy a Thompson submachine gun through the mail. He said he was targeted for arrest by President Clinton as part of a campaign to disarm Americans. He believes the Oklahoma City bombing was done by authorities, also in a bid to pass anti-terrorism legislation and erode gun rights.

Stewart acknowledged that firearms are his business. His gun kits sell for $1,824 and, after modifications, produce rifles accurate up to a mile away. The weapons fire a bullet that is 5.4 inches long, weighs 4 ounces and can penetrate armor.

Stewart acknowledged that his kit guns can be made functional with minor work. He said more than 500 models have been sold, and all probably were altered to shoot by owners who obtained them for recreation, or for defense against the government.

Stewart is to appear at U.S. District Court in Phoenix today for a bail hearing. Mangan said additional felony charges are expected
Closed Thread