The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 30, 2001, 12:21 PM   #1
Big Al

I know I'm asking for a lot of good-natured ribbing over being a WV native with this stuff, but it's pretty good so I figured I'd tell it anyway -

This weekend, two of my buddies and myself were plinking around with 2 .22 caliber rifles and my Ruger 22/45. Ammunition consisted of a 550 round box of Remington Golden Bullets.

We were having a pretty good time busting 20oz bottles full of water and dirt clods, when my buddy's dad yelled out the window that he wanted some frog's legs. So off we went to the pond to get him some frogs.

It's a really big pond with lots of high grass and crappo around the banks - perfect for frogs. We were circling the pond really slow, and we managed to get about 8 in the first 15 minutes or so. One strange thing that happened was when my buddy took a shot with his single-shot rifle. The frog was blasted out of the water, and lay quivering on the bank. Upon inspection, there was no wound. We figured the shock had killed it.

I was up front, "running point" with my 22/45. I stopped suddenly, because I had spotted a carp lying still in the weeds - maybe six inches from the shore. There was only about 1/4 of an inch of water over its back. I told my buddy's to hold up, and I did my best to stalk my way closer. When I stopped, I was right on top of it. I whispered back to my bud "are you sure you want me to kill it?" He give me a thumbs up. So as quietly as I could, I slipped a full magazine into the pistol. This magazine was loaded with Aguila Super Maximum. So the first shot would be a Remington Golden, followed by 10 rounds of Aguila.

I took slow, careful two-handed aim at the head of the sleeping carp. I'm guessing it was about 12-14 inches from the toe of my lead foot. I braced, trying to hold as heavy and firmly as I could, focused on the front sight, and emptied the gun.

Water and mud had splashed all over me when the gun locked open. The carp was nowhere to be seen - there was a big crater filling up with water where he had been. My friends ribbed me about being a poor shot.

About fifteen minutes later the carp surfaced, dead as four o'clock. When we fished it out, there were three bullet holes in its skull, two in its side, and one through its tail. The rest had missed. All bullets had exited - the exit wounds were pretty nasty - especially the three in the skull which had passed through the forehead and into the "chest cavity" region.

Okay, here come the WV jokes -

-AL-
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old April 30, 2001, 01:14 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

The frog without injury died of heart failure. Your shot went under it, frog reflexively jumped, while in the air frog decides you playin frog trap and he a gonner anyway, died of fright induced heart attack.

Frog trap born near West Liberty campus in the 50s. Rifle shot makes frog jump, partner with shotgun turns it into green mist.

Sam
Old April 30, 2001, 03:38 PM   #3
Hutch

Carp murderer!!! Ohhhhhh the humanity!!
Old April 30, 2001, 04:14 PM   #4
griz

If you put the fish in a barrel first it should be easy.
Old April 30, 2001, 05:46 PM   #5
Gravity

And what if that Carp had pulled something bigger than a .22 at you?
Now you'd have the stopping power issue to deal with.

Old April 30, 2001, 06:25 PM   #6
CoyDog

Doesn't sound very sporting to me. It would be much more impressive if you had used an Amish Fighting Rake on the carp & frogs.
CoyDog
Old April 30, 2001, 06:38 PM   #7
Ledbetter

CoyDog is right.

Never bring a gun to an Amish Rake Fight.
Old April 30, 2001, 07:08 PM   #8
Drundel

Turtle story...

I had just bought my M454 with 6.5 barrel. I only bought some Cowboy .45LC and was fishing at our tank. I started seeing lots of turtles around there and I was like no damn turtle is going to be eating my bass so I pull out the Taurus and give it a shot.

Well after a few shots when I couldn't tell if I hit anything or not. Well with one shot I could tell. I had shot under and I the 250 grain bullet lifted the turtle air borne and about 20 in the grass around the tank.

We looked for about half an hour and couldn't find a trace of it.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00
Old April 30, 2001, 07:23 PM   #9
Jeff, CA

It's well known around these here parts that an Amish Fightin' Rake also makes a mighty fine roastin' spit. Saves time.

Old April 30, 2001, 07:57 PM   #10
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

questions ONLY asked in WVa..

"Y'all wanna go shoot some fish?"

(note shooting into water is considered a BAD idea)

"bubba don't you know you is supposed to shoot the snake AFTER its out of the boat?"

Real stories from real live west virginians i have know..

Rob

Old May 1, 2001, 01:09 PM   #11
Ledbetter

Ooh Ooh!

Glad this thread isn't stale yet. Shot a backyard possum in the chest last night with three CCI CB rounds in .22. Gun was a Ruger MkII Govt with a beamshot laser and a Streamlight Scorpion light mounted on the barrel. Bagged him up this morning.

Regards.
Old May 1, 2001, 01:31 PM   #12
Redlg155

If you were in Florida you would have used a joint tactic to shoot frogs. See..once you spot a frog in the middle of the pond one shooter maintains watch on the frog while the other sneaks quietly to the other side. Once they are both directly across from each other they take careful aim and

Good Shooting
RED
Old May 1, 2001, 01:32 PM   #13
Jeff, CA

Thanks to Big Al's mud-splattering (pardon me, that's "ground-breaking") research, we now have a standard by which we can evaluate and rank the effectiveness of commonly-used fishing cartridges: The One Shot Sink percentage (OSS%).

----------------

The West Virginia bedtime checklist:

1. Put the cat out
2. Lock the door
3. Set the brake

All in fun...

Old May 1, 2001, 03:06 PM   #14
griz

Hey Dr. Rob

Believe it or not, it is legal to shoot fish with a rifle, at least in Virginia. The general assembly was looking into deleting what they thought was an antiquated law from the books when low and behold, fisherman protested. Apparently they get above the ground (tree stands?) to see better into the water and eliminate ricochets, and shoot big fish that swim by. From the "other methods" section of the fishing rule book:

Shooting with a rifle for suckers and carp from April 15 to May 31 during daylight hours in the shoals of the Clinch River within the limits of Scott County except, that it shall be unlawful to shoot fish on Sunday or within the limits of any town, or from any bridge. Fishing license is required. Creel limit: 20 per day.

I lived in WV for a couple years but don’t know about hunting fish there. Of course if a carp attacked you, you would have to defend yourself.
And in the spirit of fun, I don’t know about setting the brake at night but I heard the state flower was a satellite dish.
Old May 2, 2001, 11:21 PM   #15
Archie

I too have a possum problem.

Living in a city (in the People's Republic of California) I can't shoot them. BB guns are illegal too, by the way.

I do have a dog.

The score is now:

Smokey - 4
Possums - 0

Now, how does that count up on the Strausbourg formula?
Old May 3, 2001, 12:13 AM   #16
Good Guy

I've shot lots of bullfrogs with 22s over the years. Damn fine eating! I recall once while out in the middle of nowhere, stumbling upon two fairly large ponds loaded with bullfrogs. I thought that a mess of frog legs would make a great afternoon snack back at camp.

Trouble was, I had no 22 with me, just an M1A. Not wanting to explode the froggies with direct hits, I tried barking them, shooting a few inches beneath them. I "barked" three or four of them, and watched as they would fly out of the water as high as 30 feet!

After I popped them, I snagged them with a few branches, proud of my ingenuity and shooting prowess .

The only problem was the concussion of the .308 shot in the water had LIQUIFIED the meat in the frog's legs. No damage to the frog externally, but the legs felt like they were filled with mush and the skin was bloodshot pink . They were ruined, completely inedible.

Anymore, if I don't have a 22 (or a light load 38 for head shots), I leave the froggies alone.
Old May 3, 2001, 04:20 AM   #17
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

um (for research purposes only)

#6 shot will ruin a Gar's day
Old May 3, 2001, 11:37 PM   #18
tatters

Fortunately, I have learned some hunter's ethics since this incident many years ago......

My best friend's mom always had empty Parkay dishes. We used them for all kind of things. Once, at band camp....
Oh wait, not my story. Sorry

We took a Parkay dish and filled it with a few frogs and blasted it about a million times with a Crosman 760 and a Daisy of some sort.
Frog stew was left. We used to shoot frogs clear across the pond with that 760 and 4x scope. What fun.
Old May 4, 2001, 05:15 PM   #19
Fraser

I was in WV last week. The first thing on the news was a story about the beginning of turkey hunting season. Now, that is serious! These people have their act together.
Old May 4, 2001, 06:08 PM   #20
SKEPTIK420

that funny i still have my 760 which we used for hunting quail (if thats how you spell it) at the santa fe dam the only problem was that it was illegal to shoot any gun there (and pretty much anywhere else in california) so we had to do some modifications to the old 760. in my drafting class i designed a silencer(highly illegal)for it with autocad and used the machine to make the it. i also made a pistol grip for it and shortened the barrel and added a laser sight damn that gun was fun
thanks for bringing up those good memories of the 760
had some fun times