The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2002, 04:19 AM   #1
bad_dad_brad

The Perfect Pistol - The G19.

I am sitting here, waxing poetic about what is the perfect handgun. At least, for me.

It is the third generation Glock G19. 9X19 with 9 rounds of your favorite 9mm self defense round in the magazine. I am particularly fond of 115 grain Winchester wolfman killing silvertips. I would rather sport Corbons +P in the same weight, buy they are so rare in my parts. Energy over mass is my rule. The 9X19 is so gentle in the hand, yet penetrates, expands, and does the job, with modern ammo.

Why the G19? Well, it fiits my grip most perfectly. Now I am talking about the latest generation Glock. I love those thumb imprints. And the finger grooves fit me just right. I load my magazine one short. Nine is enough and ten seems to challenge the system. The newest teflon finish (sans phosphate) over the tenifer is so smooth. I have an older G17 but I am thinking of having two new G19s.

So reliable, combat accurate out of the box. Never a hint of a problem. I am satisfied every time with her. She is so perfect. Gosh!

I love the Glock trigger. I am a relative (5 years) neophyte to handguns, and so, have not been imprinted by revolver or pistol SA hair triggers. It seems to me that the Glock trigger and safety system is the most logical of any handgun system.

I have revolvers. I have DA/SA pistols. All of these animals are inferior to combat tupperware. At least in my opinion.

Comments, Ladies and Gentlemen?
Old January 6, 2002, 05:39 AM   #2
Rob96

As far as 9mm's go, I really do agree with you on the G19. Except, I prefer the 2nd generation frame. But recently I have been carrying my CZ75B cocked and locked, and I really like this. If I had to get rid of one, I don't what I would do. If push came to shove I really think I would take the CZ cocked and locked over the G19, especially with the affordable standard capacity mags. On the cocked and locked carry, its probably why I am looking at 1911's again too.
Old January 6, 2002, 06:30 AM   #3
Hand_Rifle_Guy

I used to hate Glocks. called 'em Blocks. Thought they were ugly. Still do, really, but now I have a Glock 32, (.357 Sig) and I have no regrets whatever. I bought it simply because I received a Glock 23 .40 cal. barrel for free, and had to buy a gun to go with it. (I buy guns on the slightest pretext, whenever I can afford to, or every five minutes, whichever is dictated by circumstance. ) Now I have a switch-barrel gun!

I have a lot of hand guns, (20+) and I have no issue with the triggers at all. I love the way mine shoots and fits. I don't particularly care for 9mm as a caliber, but that's beside the point.

I put an Alchemy Arms 3.5 lb. trigger set-up in it, and it's nothing but wonderful.

It's still ugly, no shiny blue or polished walnut, but I'll forgive it as form follows function in this case, and this one's a winner, hands down.

Note: I do not disagree with polymer as a gun material in principal, I just wish Gaston Glock had made his guns a little more artistically stylish. Look at the Beretta 9000 series, for instance.

Jus' my opinion, fast and loose.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old January 6, 2002, 09:10 AM   #4
tlhelmer

I have to agree that the G-19 is a great gun. I shot mine yesterday at the IDPA match. I also carry mine on duty (plain clothes) and off-duty. It represents the perfect balance between concealment and a serious defensive pistol.

I like a lot of members am always searching for the "perfect pistol", but It is definately up there near perfect.
Old January 6, 2002, 09:30 AM   #5
Hal

hehe,
Seems to me that satisfaction is like the flu bug seems ike latly a lot of both are going around. Must be something in the air.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=94734
Old January 6, 2002, 09:34 AM   #6
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I'm not sure there is a "perfect pistol", that would
suit everyone; but certainly for me, the .45 caliber
Sig P220 would win this debate hands down.
Excellent "glove like" grip, and perfect balance;
not to mention the P220's other great feature's
relating to reliability, accuracy, and craftsmanship.

Best Wishes ,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
Old January 6, 2002, 09:46 AM   #7
Marko Kloos

The Glock 19 and its .40-caliber twin, the Glock 23, are hard to beat as carry guns. They're just the right size to be useful and easily concealed without sacrificing a full grip. They are light, extremely reliable, tough as nails, and they hold a lot of bullets for pistols their size if used with regular capacity magazines. Whenever I carry an autoloader these days, 90% of the time it's my Glock 19.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 6, 2002, 09:50 AM   #8
Handy

The P7M8 is the perfect pistol.

But the 19 is decent, too.
Old January 6, 2002, 10:14 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"At least, for me." is the key to the whole deal. That's why there's no particular validity to all these "Brand X is better than Brand Z, because..."

, Art
Old January 6, 2002, 10:20 AM   #10
FPrice

brad...

My Winter-time carry pistol is a G19, first- or second-generation, not sure which. I also carry Silvertips because they shoot well out of my pistols.

However, there are at least two other currents threads on TFL about Glocks, one tragic about a three-year son of a rookie LEO who killed his dad by grabbing his loaded Glock (left on a table) and shooting him in the back. The other deals with whether you carry your Glock with a round in the chamber (I do) or not, and if you carry it in a holster (again yes) or not.

Bottom line in both is, "Know your firearm." and "Be safety-conscious - ALWAYS!".

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old January 6, 2002, 10:37 AM   #11
Indy_SIG

I agree with FPrice about Glocks and safety. I can't think of another major manufacturer's gun that is more dangerous for the beginning shooter. I like Glocks...I carry a 26 everyday as a backup...but they're not for everyone.

As for the "perfect" 9 mm? For my .02 cents, it has to be the SIG 228. Or, very similarly, the 229 in 9 mm.

However, the more I become use to shooting the H&K P7M8 I bought last month, the more I can appreciate those who say it is the "only" gun to own. Also a great choice for us lefties. But, like the Glocks, it can be a very dangerous gun too. Takes some practice and breaking of habits to shoot it.
Old January 6, 2002, 11:17 AM   #12
Der Grosse

Indy_Sig:

How exactly can a P7M8 be a "very dangerous gun"? With its squeeze-cocker, it is the most idiot-proof gun out there (which is why it was perfect for me).
Old January 6, 2002, 11:56 AM   #13
J. Parker

The following comment is based solely on my own personal experience with Glock's. I've owned three and only one worked as it should have so I am not a big fan of the "perfect pistol".
You can't stick 'em in your waistband which I do on occasion to make a run to the garage. Can't carry them in my holsterless fannypack. Wouldn't have one as a "bedside" gun. The price of factory hi-caps is the biggest rip-off in the industry. They're meant to be a holstered gun, period, and that diminishes it's versatility for me.
I've had a number of S&W semi-auto's over the years that have all worked better than my "perfect" Glock's did. Glock's perfect? No. As good as all the rest? Yes. Your Glockless servant, J. Parker
Old January 6, 2002, 12:01 PM   #14
rugerfreak

I also have a 3rd Gen G19---carried in an Old World holster (covers the trigger completely)---with the mag carrying the full 10 rounds(no problems with mine). It's a very good set-up for me.

I have a Sig P245 too-----very similar to the G19 (except it weighs a lot more)---not as many shots--but carries 7 "pre-expanded" 9mm's----lol. Also a very good gun for me. Just a touch heavy.
Old January 6, 2002, 12:26 PM   #15
Gunhead

I used to love Glock, but now I simply don't care about them. The perfect handgun for me is the HK P7.
Old January 6, 2002, 01:06 PM   #16
Master Blaster

Glock 26 all of the features of the G-19 in a more compact, more concealable package.
Old January 6, 2002, 02:11 PM   #17
Marko Kloos

Quote:
Glock 26 all of the features of the G-19 in a more compact, more concealable package.
Except a full-sized grip and a 15-round magazine.

Don't get me wrong, I love the G26 (probably my favorite Glock), but the G19 is a tad more versatile. If you put the extender on a G19 mag to fit it in a G26, you have the same grip height (and thus the same concealability) as with a G19, while having a shorter sight radius and less barrel length.

I concede that the G26 is a better gun for deep concealment, but the G19 is the more flexible pistol, sacrificing little in the way of concealability while retaining a full grip and the option for 50% more on-board ammo than the G26.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 6, 2002, 07:18 PM   #18
trapshooter

Here's a quote you can all freely steal, because I either made it up, or someone I know did:

"Never make fun of another man's gun". Feel free to drop the "man's", add an " 's" to "another", and it's updated for this century.

So, in following this advice, there ain't no such thing as a bad one, especially if it belongs to someone else.

We can all have preferences, though, and to be honest, I did not care for the G19 (I had), for two reasons. One, grip felt wrong to me. This (I admit) is a totally subjective statement. Second, call me dino the dinosaur, but I prefer an exposed hammer on all my pistols and revolvers. My choice.

I have several semi-auto's I like. P245, 1991A1, Walther's, Sniffle & Whine, etc. I like them because they shoot straight, feel good (to me), and provide what I require from one. What else is there?
Old January 6, 2002, 07:51 PM   #19
Kermit

Don't really care for the 3rd gen Glocks. My preference would be w/ 2nd gen & no finger grooves. The grooves on 3rd gen just don't line up right for me
As far as the perfect pistol, my vote go w/ the USP 45.
Old January 6, 2002, 08:57 PM   #20
SVTNate

For me, the perfect pistol is my HK USP45.

I plan on returning to "The Dark Side" soon, and purchasing a Glock 19. You know the old saying "never sell a gun you didn't hate, or you'll regret it"? Well, I regret selling my Glock 21. I replaced it with a USP9, then went on to add a USP45, which are both superior to any Glock IMO...but I miss having one. I've decided that a Glock 19 with an M3 light would make an excellent nightstand gun, car gun, taking with me where I feel I need something more than OC spray (can't CCW here in CA unless you're rich and famous).

I only wish Glock made a .45 version of the 19. Same dimensions, with a 10 round .45 mag. I'd buy one in a hearbeat. I don't trust the Glock .40's enough to buy a 23.
Old January 6, 2002, 09:25 PM   #21
-Yo-

Very good yes; perfect? Hardly.

I agree that the glock19/23 form factor is probably the best for that brand. However, I prefer the second generation frame in the compacts. Count me among those whose fingers don't fit the grooves. On the full-size, yes they do... but on the compact it doesn't work at all.

Perfect? Well, if they could reconfigure the grip and change the trigger. Every time I go from my glocks back to the P7 or Sig or revolver, I am reminded how much the Glock trigger works AGAINST accuracy. Pull weight varies through the stroke, and stacks up right near the end. The geometry actually causes the slide to move up and down during the trigger pull (just look at your slide sometime), and the abrupt "twang" of the striker disturbs the sight picture at the worst possible moment.

I have to work very, very hard to shoot the glocks as accurately as I can shoot my Sigs or Hks with little concentration. On the other hand, if you can master tight groups with a Glock, everything else seems easy.
Old January 6, 2002, 09:44 PM   #22
denfoote

For me, the perfect pistol is the G36. Everything you love about the G19, but with .45 punch!!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old January 7, 2002, 02:20 PM   #23
SlackO

My first gen. G19 was one of my first pistols and is still my favorite handgun. I put a Hogue handall on it and love it. I also have a G18 mag that may look funny but could pack quite a punch in a small package. It IS my bedside gun, and I can hit clay pigeons (stationary ) at 25 yds. without much problem.

In other words:

RIGHT ON!!!!
Old January 7, 2002, 04:20 PM   #24
boris_01

Not being too knowlegeable about the Glocks, Could someone explain the difference between the generations of G19's. Pros & Cons.
Old January 7, 2002, 04:41 PM   #25
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Boris-----------go over to Glocktalk.com-----they'll have the answers you are looking for---and more.