The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2002, 01:54 AM   #1
Elizabeth Petersen

Why I carry a gun

Yet another failure of the Criminal Justice System...or why every woman in Utah should be packing.

Rant Mode On…

Recently, there have been a couple of threads on TFL concerning women and gun ownership. If I felt strongly about this issue before, than the events of the last week have only served to reaffirm my convictions.

Last Saturday, at 10:30 PM, the teenaged daughter of a friend of mine showed up on my doorstep. With her was her best friend, a very frightened 17-year-old girl, who is about four months pregnant. (I’ll call them TS and ML, respectively). Both were crying and terrified. The pregnant gal, ML, looked like she had been badly beaten. Turns out, she had been. By her 20 year old live-in boyfriend.

Seems that ML had gone to the home she and her boyfriend shared with his parents, intent on ending an increasingly violent relationship. TS had gone with her to provide moral support and to help her pack a few things. The conversation was short, and to the point.

Problem was, the boyfriend had been drinking that night, and had consumed a sizeable amount of methamphetamines, making him even more volatile than usual. He assaulted TS first, believing she had somehow been the cause of his young girlfriend leaving him. He struck her several times, hitting her breasts. The girls fled the house.

The boyfriend pursued them. He caught up with them outside, in the driveway. He grabbed ML by the hair, dragged her to the ground, and began beating her with his fists, concentrating the blows on her stomach and breasts. TS intervened pulled him off, and they again made an attempt to get to their car. The boyfriend caught hold of ML again, choked her until she fell to the ground, and began kicking her in the head and stomach. He was wearing steel-toed boots at the time.

The assault ended only when TS was able to flag down a passing car. The boyfriend backed off long enough for her to carry ML to the car. The drove immediately to my house, which was only ten minutes away, and which they thought would be the safest place for them to go. After performing a perfunctory assessment of the victim (she denied needing medical attention at that time), I loaded them up into my truck and drove them to the Roy police station. (I live in the neighboring town, Layton, but since the assault had occurred in Roy, the report had to be filed there.) ML began complaining of nausea and dizziness upon our arrival, and I had paramedics respond to check her out.

Both girls were interviewed by Roy PD. I was rather surprised, when the officer stated that he would NOT be arresting the boyfriend that night, and gave the reason as “It’s too late now”. I nearly twisted on him. Ok, so it was after 1:00 AM…but what has that got to do with anything? I decided it really wasn’t worth arguing with him, and took the girls home with me.

The phone calls began at 2 AM. Creepy calls, very sexually violent in nature. I logged each one. Sunday night, the drive-by’s began. I contacted my local PD, who were very sympathetic, but explained that since no charges had yet been filed, and until the boyfriend actually DID something, there was nothing they could do. I began carrying all the time, even in the house. And I didn’t sleep much, since I knew that meth-snorting maniac had a thing for waving around his shotgun whenever he got mad.

Monday, the girls were interviewed by the detective. Tuesday, I took ML to the courthouse and obtained an Ex Parte order of protection for her. (It goes into effect once the boyfriend has been served.) On Tuesday night, the detective informed us that the boyfriend had been arrested, and charged with multiple counts, including felony aggravated domestic assault, sexual battery, possession of a controlled substance, and possession of a concealed weapon. I’m thinking, GREAT! Those charges ought to keep him cooling his heels in jail for a while. We were also reassured that if he did make bail, we would be notified at least two hours prior to his release, and they would serve the protective order before he left. Of course, him being in jail didn’t stop his family members from not only calling and making thinly veiled threats, but a couple of them decided to come prowling around my backyard. Only my alarm system and the arrival of several Layton cops kept them from actually getting into the house.

*Sigh*

Called the jail Thursday afternoon to get a status. Seems they released him on his own recognizance. No bail. Judge decided that, despite a history of domestic violence, drug use and the fact that he is always armed, he wasn’t a danger to anyone. Problem was, not only did they release him ON WEDNESDAY, and never bothered to alert me to the fact (which they are required to do), they also FORGOT to serve him with the Ex Parte order. And, of course, the 24 hour Emergency No Contact order that is always issued when a domestic violence suspect is released was a moot point, since that same 24 hours had already passed.

Wonderful. Back to square one. Psycho boyfriend is out of jail, and free to harass us until we can get the order served. PD can’t do anything until HE does something. And the only thing currently standing between him and this poor little pregnant gal is me, and that’s not very reassuring. Sure, I’m a stubborn Irish woman with a knack for being badger-mean at times, but I’d still feel better if that SOB was in jail.

I thought about putting her in a shelter, but half of them won’t take her because she is a minor, the other half won’t take her because she is pregnant. The other option was a lockdown juvie crisis facility, and that’s just not appropriate.

So, here I sit, Friday night, waiting and wondering if something is going to happen, like the proverbial "other shoe". Because statistically, an abusive partner will usually kill his victim AFTER they have left. And the time of greatest risk is the week after they have been released from jail.

Like I told a friend of mine, I’ve come to the realization that my local criminal justice system couldn’t find it’s own arse with a flashlight and a detailed road map.

Rant mode off for the moment…

edited at the advice of some people who are much wiser than me

Vulnus pectoris sugens ne properetis mos naturae dicendi est

Ask me about my Hemingway Death Wish. I dare you.

Last edited by Elizabeth Petersen; January 19, 2002 at 12:24 PM.
Old January 19, 2002, 02:08 AM   #2
thumbtack

Elizabeth,

I hope everything works out for you and you friends. Be extremely careful, everytime I have had dealings with speed freaks it never turned out good. And you police force is a farce, it sounds like you are in this alone.

Maybe you will get lucky and the bad guy and his whole family will die in a meth-lab explosion.
Old January 19, 2002, 02:15 AM   #3
Calamity Jane

Good luck, Elizabeth, and be careful. I hope things turn out okay.
Old January 19, 2002, 02:27 AM   #4
Seeker

You're doin' a good thing! I'd trade watches with ya if I was closer.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old January 19, 2002, 02:28 AM   #5
Lennyjoe

Be very careful and watch your 6. If the family knows where you live Im sure that he does too. Please remain vigilant and hopefully this will pass without violence. God Speed.
Old January 19, 2002, 02:51 AM   #6
12-34hom

This matter should have been refered to State Police or Sheriffs Department after local P.D. refused to arrest him that morning. When the local officer said it was to late for an arrest, YOU should have INSISTED that either a deputy sheriff or state trooper be called into this matter. From seeing what happened - FELONY charges were in order. The local cop was to LAZY or SCARED to get off his ass and deal with this subject.

I would contact the county attorney and find out the judges name who released this subject, [ror] file a formal complaint. Again, this is documentation in case you would have to deal with this subject and some type of deadly force was needed.

Why is a juvinile locked facility out of the question? It would present her with a safe place to reside and protect her from the subject that assualted her from getting to her. This defuses the situation, from your standpoint. Sitting around with a loaded firearm "waiting for something to happen" would not bode well for you if something were to happen and the matter is then taken into the courts. Placing her into a locked and secure facility is the absolute BEST thing you can do at this time.

I admire your involvment & courage. But your not TRAINED to deal with persons who are drug or alcohol impaired & EDP. I have dealt with many meth heads before; when "tweaking" or crashing they are extremely dangerous.

Buy shooting this subject you open yourself up to criminal & civil charges. Be smart, don't try and "John Wayne" this situation. It could get you and those two girls killed. You need to contact the Sheriff of your county or district commander of the state police and voice your concerns, tell them you have no faith in the local P.D. for protection against this subject. Tell them what has happened.

Taking matters into your own hands should only be done as a LAST RESORT!!.

Stay Safe.

12-34hom.
Old January 19, 2002, 03:29 AM   #7
Elizabeth Petersen

Quote:
Buy shooting this subject you open yourself up to criminal & civil charges. Be smart, don't try and "John Wayne" this situation. It could get you and those two girls killed. You need to contact the Sheriff of your county or district commander of the state police and voice your concerns, tell them you have no faith in the local P.D. for protection against this subject. Tell them what has happened.
First of all, anyone who knows me, knows that the last thing I am is a John Wayne wanna be. I am aware of the laws in my state, and would only use deadly force as a last resort. Despite my own pointless "Jaybird mouth, chickadee butt" bravado, I have no desire whatsoever to be involved in a deadly force incident. I have my reasons.

That aside, I did contact the County Sheriff's office AND the state police, both of whom stated that it was not their jurisdiction. Sheltering this girl was a last resort. Besides, after the initial police contact, the detective was quick to respond and put a case together, charges were filed and the suspect was arrested. The problem lies with the Judge who released him, and the jail facility for failing to serve him with the ex parte order.

And the reason for not putting her in the lockdown facility? Because most of the juvies who are in there are not the nicest children, if you get my drift. The last place I want to put an already traumatized and emotionally fragile young pregnant woman is in a strange, scary place with a bunch of borderline juvenile offenders.

I know I'm not a police officer (though, with going on 13 years in EMS, I do understand the behavior and risks associated in dealing with dangerous drug users) But you know, all of this would be a complete non-issue if the right people had done their damned job.

Last edited by Elizabeth Petersen; January 19, 2002 at 12:28 PM.
Old January 19, 2002, 03:36 AM   #8
Elizabeth Petersen

Oh, and one other thing.

I find it mildly offensive to think that some lowlife dirtbag who gets his jollies beating and sexually assaulting a pregnant teenager gets to walk around free and unfettered, while the victim is expected to spend an indeterminate amount of time in a lock down facility "for her protection".

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

I call Bravo Sierra on that one.

Old January 19, 2002, 03:51 AM   #9
Steve Smith

Tac2chick, no, you're NOT the only one. Please be careful.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old January 19, 2002, 04:26 AM   #10
12-34hom

State Police have jurisdiction EVERYWHERE within the state you live in. Sheriffs department in whatever county they operate in. period.

I can only go by as to what you post and your intentions - i don't "read" anything into it.

Some sacrifices might have to made as to a placement for this girl as it concerns her saftey. It might not be a pleasant alternative, but whats the bottom line here?

Yea, in a "perfect" world everyone would have done thier jobs and this subject would not be walking the streets. But as we both know it isn't; nor will it ever be one. Bottom line is the saftey of this girl, you might not like the alternatives, but in this imperfect world it might be one option you can look at.

Your reasons for not getting involved in a deadly force situation are your own. But harboring this girl might force you into that very situation you don't want to get involved with. Life is full of choices, making the right one might not always be pleasant for those concerned.

Again - Stay safe.

12-34hom.
Old January 19, 2002, 04:40 AM   #11
Elizabeth Petersen

Quote:
State Police have jurisdiction EVERYWHERE within the state you live in. Sheriffs department in whatever county they operate in. period.
Wrong.

Utah is a jurisdictional nightmare. Ask any of us who live here. I know, because I spent three years as a police dispatcher. Their reasoning was that Roy PD had jurisdiction, they took the report, and it was their baby. Oh sure, I can file a complaint with the state PD or COSO, regarding how the situation was handled, but it won't resolve the immediate problem.

My problem isn't with Roy PD so much as it is with the JUDGE and the JAIL . I have to say, the performance of the Roy PD detective (and the incredible Layton officers who have kept a close eye on my residence) has been nothing short of fantastic. But, in regards to the rest of it...I've spent countless hours on the phone trying to get something done about this. Nada. I have plenty of friends in PD who are just as baffled by this as I am.

Even if I put her in a shelter, it won't stop the boyfriend from coming here, looking for her. He knows who I am, where I live, and as far as he knows, this is where she is. My name is on that ex parte order, too. Not that it does us any good. But even knowing what I know now, there's no way in Hell I would have turned that girl away from my doorstep.

And I'm sorry if I'm not willing to put that girl in lockdown, where she will just be victimized by a different set of terraspheres. I'm no Dirty Harriet. What I am is a woman who took the hand of another woman and held on tight.

Old January 19, 2002, 05:00 AM   #12
thumbtack

Elizabeth,

You have done everything right from the beginning, but the system and the PD failed you miserable. I find it utterly disgusting that the PD did not go and pick up this guy the night it happened, and then let the woman beater go.

It is admirable that you are keeping your friend with you instead of pushing her into a shelter; there aren't many people who would take her in these days.
Old January 19, 2002, 06:35 AM   #13
Quartus

Quote:
terraspheres

Keep your eyes open, Elizabeth. We like you the way you are; in one piece, and not room temperature.

I have other reasons for despising Roy, not related to the PD or guns. But they sure do have a bunch of small minds down at city hall, and big ideas about themselves.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old January 19, 2002, 06:40 AM   #14
notbubba

Elizabeth
God bless you and I'll say a prayer for you.

Where the heck is "ML's" family?
Why aren't they helping to protect her?
Old January 19, 2002, 07:30 AM   #15
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Elizabeth, it wasn't clear from your email whether ML is also armed or not. If not I'd strongly suggest that too, and that she get some instruction pronto.

In spite of the lousy jurisdictional issues, thank goodness you live where you do. If you'd been living where I do, you would quite honestly be better moving out so you and ML could protect yourselves decently.

Best wishes and check your six,
- pdmoderator.
Old January 19, 2002, 07:44 AM   #16
Kaboom

Elizabeth, what you are encountering is exactly what is wrong with the united states at present. Nobody wants to take time out of their busy day to do what needs doing. The police force, from the judge on down in your town should be tared and feathered and beaten within an inch of their lives. Maybe from this they would get a clue. As for the drinking, drug sucking POS, he is breathing air that would be better saved for decent people. Watch your rear, but if he shows up with the shotgun drop him.
Old January 19, 2002, 08:00 AM   #17
FPrice

Elizabeth...

You are to be commended for taking a stand and trying to help. Not enough people are that responsible any more. Please be careful and try every legal means to resolve this before you become the subject of an NRA Armed Citizen report. While it sounds like you would be perfectly justified, let's hope it does not go that far.

Good luck and God bless!

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old January 19, 2002, 10:31 AM   #18
techmike

Bravo!

My hat's off to you. I have nothing to offer except my admiration.
God Bless You. If I was closer I would happily pay a visit to the boyfriend. Simple rule..DON'T HIT WOMEN.

mike
Old January 19, 2002, 11:03 AM   #19
Baba Louie

Elizabeth P.

What results could/would be obtained if you contacted your local newspaper and television "Action Hotline" for a chance to tell your version of the story?

A little press that lets ALL the locals know who, what, when, etc. may work to your advantage here.

Then again, maybe not.

Sounds to me like you've done all the "right things" so far. But you may need reinforcement soon to allow you some rest and to let the young lady know that there are others out there who'll come to the forefront to assist.

Find another safe house for her ASAP, keep yammering at the local PD and DA, sit back and wait.

Never utter words of violent action in the public forum, even tongue in cheek, as premeditation for deadly force shows intent. You may want to edit out anything in previous posts that could be so construed.

Good luck. You'll be in my prayers and thoughts tonight.

God Speed.

Adios Qweeksdraw
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 19, 2002, 11:13 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'll try to give you a call tonight to see how you're doing, TW. I just wish I were a few thousand miles closer.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 19, 2002, 11:46 AM   #21
SXSMAN

Why I carry a gun

Liz,if I may call you Liz,I'm proud of you.This is not the first time you put yourself in harms way and I'm sure it won't be the last.You may at times show an irish temper,but times like these a cool head has always prevailed.It does seem the perps have more rights than the victims and I don't see this getting any better anytime soon.
Please stay safe,my respect as always is with you.Now my prayers are also.

Personal note,with all that is going on in your life,I'd like to thank you for taking the time to email me and the moderators to straighten up the perception people got of me,first time out of the gates here.I know the "warm" reception I got was merely people concerned with your well being.My timing couldn't have been worse.In their shoes I would have done the same.

Please keep us informed as this story unfolds.May good triumpth over evil.

Jonathan (SXSMAN)
Old January 19, 2002, 11:53 AM   #22
Kaylee

Well, next question seems to be -- do we have any Utah TFLers she can call on for backup if/when Elizabeth has work to get to, or gets exhausted past the point of usefulness playing guard dog?

Elizabeth, I don't know where in Utah you are, but IF y'all need to skeet out of town and can make it up the Boise area, you got a place to crash up here. I know enough good folks around here you could have a 24/7 guard on you in a backwoods ranch if thats what you felt you needed.

-K

PS -- good job!
Another question though.. if something DID go down, how do you think the local law would respond to your acting defensively? Put another way... does the creep know the judge?
Old January 19, 2002, 11:57 AM   #23
faraway

M. Peterson, You did what was right and what was necessary. As for the presumption that wading through the assorted law enforcement venues might be the answer...eventually yes, they might do something. But until then, you are holding the line yourself. Reality check...yeah some LE body might eventually act against that pyscho...but that is a system that often is soley reactive and often inertia bound in nature...I've personally seen too many innocents end up as fading photographs because of the concept that 'the system will take care of it...and good people don't act alone". I wish you well...and respect your courage in this matter.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:56 PM   #24
Elizabeth Petersen

Thanks to all for your words of support, encouragement and prayers. It's nice to be able to vent about this to people who understand.

To answer a few questions:

"Where the heck is "ML's" family?
Why aren't they helping to protect her?"

That's a sticky one. I knew eventually someone would ask, and it's a valid question. Her mother lives in the area, but couldn't give a rat's butt about the situation. And her husband is cut from the same cloth as the Terrasphere. ML pretty much just ran from one abusive situation to another. However, on the good side, her large, over-protective Marine Corps brother is due home from an overseas TDY in a couple of weeks. Let that little punk mess with a jarhead. Heh. I'd pay good money to see that.

She also has family in Colorado, and if push comes to shove, I'll stick her bootie on a plane.

"Elizabeth, it wasn't clear from your email whether ML is also armed or not. If not I'd strongly suggest that too, and that she get some instruction pronto."

Disclaimer: She is a minor. I would never do anything like that.

But she comes from a family that likes to hunt, and is well versed in gun safety and handling. 'Nuff said.

"Liz,if I may call you Liz"

Yuck. Call me Beth.

Kaylee, thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on it.
There are a lot of good folks here in Utah who have definately made this situation easier. And Utah has some very well defined laws regarding self defense and home defense. So I'm not too worried on that end.

Quote:
What results could/would be obtained if you contacted your local newspaper and television "Action Hotline" for a chance to tell your version of the story?
I've thought about that. Maybe having his name splashed all over the news might make him think twice about doing something stupid. Plus it would put a spotlight on the atrocious way this case has been handled. I've also got some complaints I'll be filing(Internal Affairs and the DA's office) and I think ML should seriously consider finding an attorney. Time to make a point, I think.

Anyhoo...thanks to all who listened to me vent (boy, I needed that) and for your prayers.

Old January 19, 2002, 03:02 PM   #25
citizen

Must concur; you're doin' admirably!

Few people "ask" to be a hero; it's usually thrust upon us.

Often wish it were simpler times; when a "posse" could be deputized to handle this.........

Makes you realize how valuable true friends are.

Do what ya gotta; and be confident when you're right.
God bless you; especially.
Life is too short for dial-up